Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Our Education is a Privilege

I'm continuing to really enjoy my time here in Antigua, Guatemala. I've now had two Spanish lessons and one more day at my placement. I'm amazed at how much I've learned in such a short amount of time. 

First, I've learned a ton about "special education" here--basically if a child falls outside of the "typical" bubble, they don't get an education. Period. The only exceptions are non-profits organized by churches, primarily the Catholic Church here, or volunteers that provide services to these children. My placement is run by young guys (probably in their late 20's and 30's) that provide the service from the good of their hearts-they work different jobs in the mornings and then volunteer at the organization in the afternoon. This type of "school" is basically unheard of here--in fact when o told my Spanish teacher what type of place i was volunteering and where it was located, he did not believe me. His wife is a teacher so he knows a lot about the education system and he said "no, no those types of schools don't exist in the pueblos". My placement is very new, it's only existed for a year and we are the first "voluntarios extranjeros"-foreign volunteers. It began to serve children with Down syndrome but when they opened their doors they saw the need was much greater so there are kids with a variety of needs, including some street children that simply don't have any other place to go. So in a way it's kind of like an inclusion class ;-) Another insane fact I learned is that children with ADHD, behaviors problems, etc can also be kicked out of school right away--and therefore they fall under the special education umbrella that doesn't get an education. INSANE! I can't even imagine if all our impulsive, behavior kiddos in the US weren't allowed an education.

One of the little girls there is partially deaf--completely deaf in one ear and partially in the other. Daniel, one of the founders of the project, was explaining to me that they could possibly find a sponsor to supply the hearing aid (maybe) but she would need to be evaluated by an audiologist first which would cost much more than they have (approx $250 plus transportation to Guatemala City-$40). It's so hard to wrap my head around her not having a heading aid--I gotta figure out a way to get that girl an evaluation...anyone wanna help? ;-) 

I have so much more to say but it's time for lunch and my placement :-) we get to see some break dancing this afternoon by the local kids!

Besos!
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment